Answers 4 Actors

Monday, July 27, 2009

What you can Control!

WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL!

AND WHAT YOU CAN'T!

I read these articles about goal setting. Lots of good stuff of course, but what bugs me is when they tell actors that if they set a goal like, “Star in a feature film, or series regular role” these self-described experts say you can make it happen.

Let’s look at the difference. If I want to write a book, which I have, and I set my goal to write 500 words a day, I have control over that. I do not have control over whether I get on the New York Times Best Seller List.

Now don’t get me wrong. You can take many actions in your control that may very well help to get you on that Best Seller list but still it’s not totally in your control to be on that list (unless your favorite uncle is the head of the committee that decides who is on the list).

So actors, yes, write down your goals. Yes, make a list of steps in your control that will help you get to your goals. Just be aware what you have control over and what you don’t have control over.

As those of you who know me and worked with me know, I am a avid supporter of actors, and all artists. I am not trying to burst your balloon. I want you to have your eyes wide open and to be smart in how and where you put your efforts.

Take action, learn your craft, make connections and do your marketing! Keep your head clear of how the world of entertainment works and don’t let what you do not have control over drive you crazy.

Yes there will be days where what happens to you IS NOT FAIR. The best actor or actress does not get the job. Promises made to you will be broken. It will sometimes appear that the bad guys win. Just stay on the course. Keep moving. Brush off that indignity. Let the naysayers go bug somebody else.

Remember your life and your career is a marathon not a sprint so just keep going.

So many times after a bad experience I can somehow find something to learn from it so I am not in the same situation in the future. Or I can share it with someone else like my students so they can avoid that situation.

This is also true with mistakes we make ourselves. Although none of us likes to admit it sometimes we actually were the one that was wrong. OMG We were wrong, I was wrong! Yes, true, that happens. The one thing you can always do is learn something from what happened. Unfortunately you may not be able to fix what happened, although sometimes you can, but you can always learn from what occurred. That’s why I do share in my workshops with students, mistakes I made in my life and career. If you can learn from my mistakes I have made something good out of something bad. That, I think, is one of the best things you can do in your life.

So write down your goal, create your steps that you can do. And keep going!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home