Answers 4 Actors

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Actors are People Too.

I have coached actors professionally for over 20 years. I am shocked still after all these years how people treated actors. Yes of course there are difficult actors but there are also difficult waiters, businessmen, clerks, politicians, CEOS (lots of them) and yet actors are put up to ridicule. I realize they have chosen to attempt this difficult career but there is no reason to treat them with such disrespect.
Actors are people too. They have their own fears, their own opinions and their own limitations JUST LIKE YOU. So their job is to create a real person, JUST LIKE YOU. And sometimes you don't like what you see because if you looked at yourself, you wouldn't look like what you see.

I so respect the actors I work with. That doesn't mean that I am not tough on them. Yes I am. But I never ask them to do something that I wouldn't ask of myself. Can you say the same thing?

Actors are willing to search their souls. Most people can't even tell the truth once a day let alone in front of loads up gum-chewing, cigarette smoking gaffers.

I challenge anyone to get in front of a camera, lights and 40 people who chew, roll their eyes and are bored and you have to show emotions you wouldn't show in front of anyone you loved let alone 40 people you don't even know.

So stop it! You don't understand how they do it, fine. Just don't put someone down because you can't do what they do. We respect what you do, why not do the same for everyone else.

1 Comments:

  • At November 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Tara Sitser said...

    The mark of a good actor is that they are so believable you don't know they are acting. It's hard to respect what you don't understand. Thank you, Jeanne, for explaining us to the world. Thank you for being a champion for the artist. We need you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home